Soil Health Concerns
Five Principles of Soil Health
South Dakota Healthy Soils Handbook
This book is your guide to soil health principles, practices and options for your operation. If you want to learn more about soil and find advice on how to implement good soil health practices, the South Dakota Healthy Soils Handbook is just what you need. You can read and download the entire book here. For the best viewing experience, we recommend the following web browsers: Chrome, Safari, Edge or Firefox. If you would like a hard copy of the book, please contact the South Dakota Soil Health Coalition.
Interested in talking to another producer or technical experts about how they have used soil health practices? Take a look at this network of individuals willing to mentor and answer your questions! Giving Advice, Finding Solutions, and Building Connections for Healthier Soil, Healthier Crops, Healthier Livestock, and Healthier People.
Soil Health Planning and Improvement Project
This project offers financial and technical assistance to producers willing to adopt certain soil health management practices for land within specific watershed areas in South Dakota.
Soil Health Assessment Card – English and Spanish
The South Dakota Soil Health Coalition has created a Soil Health Assessment Card which agricultural producers of all types, ranchers, gardeners, and others can utilize on site to assess their current level of soil health. Download the current version of the card, and utilize it in one of your fields, or production areas today! Contact us if you would like a Soil Health Technician to visit with you about your results or assist you in completing the card.
- Soil Quality Indicator Fact Sheets- USDA NRCS
- Soil Texture Calculator- USDA NRCS
- Soil Quality Test Kit Guide-USDA NRCS
- Cover Crop Excel Worksheet – USDA NRCS
- Soil Structure Backgrounder – USDA NRCS
- “How To Avoid Soil Compaction: True, False, Q&A”- Corn+Soybean Digest
- “Managing Cover Crops Profitably” Third Addition PDF
- “Building Soils For Better Crops” By Fred Magdoff and Harold Van Es PDF
- “Recommendations for Managing Corn Residue at Harvest” Paul Jasa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Palmer Amaranth ID Pamphlet- SDSU Extension 2020
- 2019 60 Inch Corn Test Plot Report
- 2019 60 Inch Corn Test Plot Two Sided Fact Sheet
- 2019 60 Inch Corn Test Plot Brochure
News & Events
By Lura Roti for South Dakota Soil Health Coalition Mechanic is among the many hats most farmers and ranchers wear. “Every farmer and rancher modifies equipment – it’s the nature of the game,” explained Paul Winkler, a Newell, S.D., rancher. Always eager to learn...
The South Dakota Soil Health Coalition and Millborn Seeds are partnering to donate copies of “The Soil Quilt” to every school and library in the state. “The Soil Quilt” is a new children’s book published by Ag Storytellers and the South Dakota Soil Health Coalition....
Project Summary Compared corn production management options of 60-inch corn rows with cover crops seeded in the wide rows to standard 30-inch corn rows without cover crops between the rows. Corn grain yield, moisture, and protein content was compared between the two...